Baby Horribly Burned At Applebee's; Employees Waited 20 Minutes To Call 911
17-month-old Cadien Scott Gaffney was burned when he grabbed a glass of hot water on Friday at an Applebee's in Queens.
Workers at a Queens Applebee's waited more than 20 minutes to call 911 after a baby was scalded with hot water, according to a lawyer for the family.
Cadien Scott Gaffney, who is 17 months old, grabbed for a glass of hot water on Friday and the beverage spilled all over him.
"The baby grabbed for the water," family friend Courtnei Patterson told the New York Daily News. "He thought the water was for him.”
Patterson said staff at the Rosedale restaurant brought paper towels and ointment – but then waited 20 minutes to call 911.
Applebee’s staff called emergency services after patrons in the restaurant began to voice their outrage.
Photos of the injury show a bright pink patch where the water hit Cadien.
According to Patterson, no one from the restaurant has contacted anyone from the family.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and child during this difficult time. We are very saddened about this accident," Applebee's spokesman Brian Lowe said in a statement Wednesday. "The safety and security of our guests is always our top priority. We are working closely with authorities and will continue to fully cooperate with their investigation."
The family's lawyer, Sanford Rubenstein, said a lawsuit is pending and that the baby suffered “horrible burns.”
Read more: New York Daily News