Man Arrested In Fatal Stabbing Of 29-Year-Old Woman On Phoenix Hiking Trail

29-year-old Lauren Heike was hiking on a trail on April 28, 2023 when she was attacked and brutally murdered. Now, 22-year-old Zion Teasley has been charged with her murder.

Lauren Heike, pictured here, was hiking on a trail on April 28, 2023 when she was attacked and brutally murdered.

29-year-old Lauren Heike was hiking on a trail on April 28, 2023 when she was attacked and brutally murdered. Now, 22-year-old Zion Teasley has been charged with her murder.

Photo by: Phoenix Police Department

Phoenix Police Department

On April 28, 2023, Lauren Heike, a 29-year-old esthetician who had recently moved to the Phoenix area, went for a hike on a neighborhood trail and tragically never returned home.

In the initial media advisory released after Heike’s murder, the Phoenix Police Department revealed that Heike was killed in a desert area near 6500 East Libby Street in Phoenix. Police responded to a call from a passerby who discovered her body on a trail that wasn’t easily visible. They found Heike on April 29, the day after she was killed, and she was pronounced dead at the scene by the fire department.

According to KTAR, the young woman’s body was found less than a half-mile from where she lived. Police believe she was attacked from behind.

Police revealed surveillance footage of a person of interest who appeared to be a male running on the trail. Police used DNA evidence recovered from the scene as well as the surveillance video to identify the suspect as 22-year-old Zion William Teasley.

On Thursday, May 4, Teasley was charged with first-degree murder, and he was arrested and booked into jail. He was taken into custody at the apartment complex where he lived which was less than two miles from the crime scene.

Prosecutors revealed that, at the time of his arrest, Teasley had a plane ticket and an apparent plan to flee to Detroit.

On Friday, May 5, Teasley appeared before a judge, and bail was set at $1 million. ABC15 reported that Teasley was released from prison in November 2022 after serving time for robbery, armed robbery, and disorderly conduct.

Teasley had previously been fired from his job for being “aggressive toward female employees” in addition to being “suspected of stealing merchandise."

He had also previously enlisted as a marine, but he never finished boot camp. ABC15 reported a response from the U.S. Marine Corps. They stated, "Our records indicate that Zion W. Teasley entered recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Training Depot San Diego on March 25, 2019. He was separated June 17, 2019, prior to completing boot camp. Additional details are not releasable due to Privacy Act."

On May 5, police held a news conference. Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego spoke and stated, "Lauren was doing something all of us enjoy, taking a hike in the beautiful Phoenix trails in springtime and her life was cut short by this inexplicable act of violence.”

Phoenix Police Homicide Lieutenant James Hester shared, “The killer responsible for Lauren’s death is in custody. Our community can breathe easier knowing that this suspect will not be able to harm anyone else, but that does little to ease the pain for Lauren's family. This is not a time for celebration."

While seeking justice, Lauren Heike’s family continues to grieve and process this huge loss.

"She was beautiful inside and out. She had such a kind heart. Everybody who met her, loved her. She was super funny. She was just a sweet child – just everything to us," Heike's mom, Lana Heike, said about her daughter, according to PEOPLE.

Although an arrest has been made, you can still report any information to the Phoenix Police Department, or you can report info anonymously to Silent Witness (480-WITNESS or 480-TESTIGO for Spanish).

Next Up

Man Accused Of Murdering Grad Student In L.A. Furniture Store Indicted On New Charges

In January 2022, Shawn Laval Smith allegedly attacked 24-year-old Brianna Kupfer after he entered the business where she was working alone, police say.

Man Confesses To Killing His Uber Driver, Posting A Video Of The Attack On Facebook

A 29-year-old man allegedly told police he had wanted to kill someone on Dec. 8 and that he didn’t pick his victim, “Uber picked her.”

Omaima Nelson: The Model Who Killed, Castrated & Ate Her Husband For Thanksgiving

On Thanksgiving Day 1991, Nelson unleashed her fury, she claimed, over the sexual terror and other abuses to which her husband Bill had subjected her.

Virginia Woman In D.C. For A Concert Murdered In Hotel Room

Christy Bautista reportedly yelled for help before she was stabbed to death on March 31 inside a hotel room in Washington, D.C.

Vegas Politician Upset Over Articles Exposing ‘Potential Wrongdoing’ Accused Of Killing Reporter

Robert Telles allegedly stabbed investigative journalist Jeff German multiple times during a surprise attack, authorities say.

New Hampshire Man Convicted Of Fatally Stabbing Ex-Girlfriend At Her Book Club Meeting

31-year-old Amanda Dabrowski broke up with her co-worker after dating him for three months, and he started stalking her. After one attempt at murdering her, he stabbed her to death inside a restaurant in July 2019.

Oregon Man Fatally Stabbed After Defending His Friend From Harassment

Colin Smith, a 32-year-old Portland man, was stabbed to death at a local bar on July 2 while defending his friend from anti-LGBTQ harassment.

Florida Woman Allegedly Murders Roommate, Pours Soda On Herself To Destroy Evidence

Nichole Maks, 35, allegedly murdered her 79-year-old roommate at the Daytona Beach home they shared and tried to cover up the evidence by pouring Diet Mountain Dew on herself.

What We Know About The Suspect Arrested In Murders Of Four Idaho College Students

On Dec. 30, 2022, Bryan Kohberger was arrested in connection with the November murders of Madison Mogen, Kaylee Goncalves, Xana Kernodle, and Ethan Chapin.

Family Of Christina Yuna Lee, Who Was Murdered In Her Manhattan Apartment, Sues NYPD For Inaction

Christina Yuna Lee was fatally stabbed in her NYC apartment when a man followed her home after a night out. Now her family is suing the NYPD for negligence, saying delays in assistance ultimately led to her death.