California Woman Who Went Missing After Concert Found In Freezer Inside Rental Truck

The cold case of Denise Huber was cracked after a woman “felt a spirit pulling her" to a truck and wrote down the license plate number.

Denise Huber, pictured here, went missing on June 2, 1991 on her way home from a concert. Three years later, her body was found in a freezer.

Three years after Denise Huber disappeared in June 1991, her body was found in a freezer inside of a rental truck in Arizona.

Photo by: Warner Bros. Discovery, Inc. (Screenshot from ID's "Stolen Voices, Buried Secrets")

Warner Bros. Discovery, Inc. (Screenshot from ID's "Stolen Voices, Buried Secrets")

By: Aaron Rasmussen

A woman returning home following a fun evening out seemingly vanished without a trace after breaking down on the side of a freeway. It would take several years of searching before a chance tip would shed light on what became one of Southern California’s most infamous cold case murders.

On June 2, 1991, Denise Huber, 23, attended a Morrissey concert in Inglewood. Driving home that evening around 2 a.m., she reportedly blew a rear tire on the Corona del Mar Freeway less than three miles from the Newport Beach home she shared with her parents, Dennis and Ione Huber.

Denise was never seen alive again.

Jack Archer, a now-retired Costa Mesa police detective who led the search for Denise, immediately suspected foul play. “She was a young girl that wasn’t in trouble, wasn’t into drugs, didn’t appear to be rebellious,” Archer said, according to the Los Angeles Times. “She wasn’t someone that would just take off for days at a time.”

Despite an extensive police investigation and an extraordinary effort by Dennis and Ione Huber to find their daughter, leads went nowhere and the case grew cold.

On July 9, 1994, over three years after Denise disappeared, a woman who purchased paint from John Joseph Famalaro at his home in Yavapai County, Arizona, grew suspicious about a 24-foot yellow rental Ryder truck in the driveway.

“She saw the truck and she told us that she felt a spirit pulling her to that truck,” Denise’s father, Dennis Huber, later recalled, the L.A. Times reported. “She felt so compelled she wrote down the license plate number.”

The woman passed the number along to a friend in law enforcement. Yavapai County sheriff’s deputies ran the truck’s license plate number and learned it had been reported stolen around six months earlier.

Deputies searching the Ryder truck on July 13, 1994, found a padlocked freezer inside the back of the vehicle. Once masking tape and the lock was removed and the freezer opened, investigators made the grisly discovery of Denise’s handcuffed, battered and nude body wrapped up in trash bags.

Investigators learned Famalaro had moved to Arizona from Laguna Hills, California, in the summer of 1992. At a warehouse Famalaro rented in the Southern California city, detectives found dried blood. Detectives theorized Famalaro murdered Denise with a nail remover at the facility where he worked and lived and then stored her body in the freezer, which he eventually transported to Arizona.

“He just could not throw anything away, and that’s what led to him getting caught.... He’s a hoarder,” Archer said. “If he would’ve gotten rid of the body in the middle of the desert on the way to Arizona, we might’ve never solved the case.”

In June 1997, Famalaro was convicted of Denise’s murder and a judge sentenced him to death. The now-66-year-old inmate remains on death row at San Quentin State Prison in California.

“The wound never heals,” Dennis Huber has said of his daughter’s murder, the Daily Pilot reported. “You just learn how to deal with it, and it doesn’t hurt quite as much as it did at first.”

“I can’t tell you how much I still miss Denise,” added the victim’s mother, Ione Huber. “I think of her every single day.”

For more on this case, stream ID’s Stolen Voices, Buried Secrets: “Cold As Ice” on discovery+.

Next Up

Man Arrested After Tech CEO Found Murdered In Her Baltimore Apartment

Pava LaPere, a rising tech star in her twenties, was murdered in her Baltimore home. After a few days on the run, Jason Dean Billingsley, 32, was arrested and charged with her murder.

Pennsylvania Man Sentenced To Life In Prison After Confessing He Killed Aspiring 'Playboy' Model

Christina Carlin-Kraft “was an absolute light in this world and he snuffed it out,” the victim’s mother said of murderer Jonathan Harris.

'Lady Of The Dunes' Cold Case Closed After Her Husband Was Named The Killer

Ruth Marie Terry, a murder victim who was known only as the “Lady of the Dunes” for nearly 50 years, was identified, and now her husband has been named as her killer.

An Arizona Man Is Freed From Death Row After 29 Years In Prison

After nearly 29 years on death row, 64-year-old Barry Jones was freed to spend his first Father’s Day with his children in decades.

NYPD Detective Identifies Suspect In Cold-Case Murder Of Pregnant Woman Who Died In Front Of Son

“Justice is at least on its way to being served,” Bronx Homicide Detective Robert Klein says of the 1996 case.

'Zombie Hunter' Sentenced To Death For Murdering Two Women In The 1990s

A man who referred to himself as the ‘Zombie Hunter’ has been sentenced to death for the separate murders of two young women in the 1990s.

A Woman Realized Her Husband Was a Serial Rapist Who Escalated to Murder

A neighborhood in Tucson, Arizona, was rattled when a woman reported that she’d been raped, but the worst horror was yet to come.

Memphis Woman Says Police Failed To Investigate Her 2021 Rape By Eliza Fletcher’s Killer

DNA from a 2021 rape kit was not determined to match Cleotha Henderson until Sept. 5, 2022, three days after he is accused of kidnapping and murdering Fletcher.

Man Convicted In 1981 Cold Case Murder Of Woman Strangled To Death With Her Own Pantyhose

More than 40 years after the murder of 30-year-old Sonia Carmen Herok-Stone, DNA from under her fingernail led to the conviction of Michael Scott Glazebrook.

New Trial Date Set For Accused Murderer Of 14-Year-Old Wendy Jerome

Back in 1984, a 14-year-old was murdered while walking to her friend’s house to deliver a birthday card. Now, after nearly 40 years, her alleged murderer was identified through DNA and faces trial.